Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wind Can Meet All Energy Desires

Hi All,
I have great news today, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science found that wind energy alone could provide more than 5 times the world's energy use and 40 times its current electricity demand. That said, we likely will never exploit more than half of that because of a range of other sources such as Geothermal, Biomass and Hydro... oh and my favorite Solar. Oh, by the way China seems to have enough wind potential to meet its energy needs (just desires?) and Canada is Number #2 in potential for Wind Energy. My generation may have to make some small sacrifices to stop climate change, but it sure is beginning to look that energy use is not going to be the pit fall of industrial civilization if we move away from fossil fuels or at least capture the carbon dioxide that they emit. I am not buying in to the whole energy decent idea, I think we are looking at a wind/solar/lithium battery/hydrogen/biofuels economy with some sort of affulent lifestyle for the vast maajority of the world's people rather than the 19th century druggery suggested by some in the environmental movement. Solving climate change will mean less change and more investment. Like the sound of increase capital turn-over due to climate mitigation? I do, I am buying Vestas shares, and hopefully I someday can afford an electric bike (I don't like hills), Bullfrog Powered, of course.

Here is the link:

http://news.mongabay.com/2009/0622-hance_global_wind.html

No comments:

Post a Comment